Compiled by Gail Ashbrook and Elizabeth C. Davis
The land for Calvary Cemetery was purchased in 1881, but tombstones of early Irish immigrants who settled in Hot Springs and became members of the first Catholic parish here are dated starting in the 1870s. There are numerous unmarked graves in the oldest block. This cemetery of crosses contains many handsome older tombstones skillfully inscribed with Catholic religious symbols and interesting epitaphs. The Church of St. Mary of the Springs manages the cemetery.
This book includes captioned photographs, a brief history, information about unreadable inscriptions, and information about the meaning of symbols depicted on markers. A map section and an alphabetical index complement the block by block, row by row inscription list, making a user-friendly reference work.